Saturday, January 17, 2009

Sigh - more leaky batteries

I knew in my gut that the front batteries were probably leaking like the rear ones were. Last weekend, I finally got around to removing the front battery box so I could see how bad it was. Pretty bad:

The front box is a pain to remove because of all the relays, batteries, DC-DC converter, etc. that are attached to it. You can see all the little green masking tape labels I put on all the wires to make sure I got things put back together correctly.

Here is the front compartment after attacking it with a wire wheel on my angle grinder:

It was warm enough that day to put a couple of coats of spray paint on it, so I did:

I went to Sam's Club and got 4 12-pound bags of baking soda. I put about 6 pounds below the front rack (looks like snow!):

I put about 1/4" or so inside the front battery box:

For good measure, I put some below the middle battery box (not shown) and inside the middle battery box (that's the ElectroJeep in the background - sealed batteries, no acid leaks there...):

Hopefully the baking soda will neutralize the acid spills as they happen. But this is something I will have to check every several months.

1 comment:

HP Notebook Batteries said...

Wow It really seems like mister here did his homework! Great effort in constructing this information, I really got a new sense of what's going on. Well, at least we can call it an update to what I already knew. But it's good to have yourself really looking into this stuff and putting it out there. I probably would have not investigated this material in wow g-d knows how long. I can really say I picked up some knowledge from this piece and you can most definitely count me referring some readers to your page, thanks! Really enjoyed and it was my pleasure to read on!